Twitter has come a long way since its launch back in March 2006.
Twitter is a popular social media platform news, memes, or information that can connect people to the outside world.
Initially, Jack Dorsey, Noah Glass, Biz Stone, and Evan Williams were going to call the app “status,” but after going through a dictionary, the meaning of the word is “to give a call consisting of repeated light tremulous sounds” which is what the app would do every time you got a tweet.
Twitter was originally created as an SMS text platform, but little did Dorsey, Glass, Stone, and Williams know, it grew into much more than that. In 2019, Twitter is still considered one of the top social media platforms globally.
Twitter statistics in 2019
While Twitter is growing at an incredible rate, it is on track to be one of the largest social media platforms on the market through the coming year. Famous celebrities and social media influencers have catapulted Twitter to becoming a great way to reach new target audiences for businesses and individuals alike.
Use these fire Twitter statistics for 2019 and get a better understanding of how big twitter really is. Continue reading to discover Twitter statistics on:
- Twitter user demographics
- Twitter user growth rate
- Twitter advertising
- Twitter revenue
- Twitter send rate
- Twitter has 321 million active monthly users. (Statista, 2018)
- 40% of Twitter's user base is made up of people between the ages of 18-29. (Statista, 2018)
- 27% of Twitter’s user base is made up of 30-49 year olds. (Statista, 2018)
- Only 19% of people in the U.S between the ages of 40-64 use Twitter. (Statista, 2018)
- The remaining 8% of Twitter's user base falls into the age group 65+. (Statista, 2018)
- In 2017, 53% of Twitter users were male. (Statista, 2017)
- In 2017, 47% of Twitter users were women. (Statista, 2017)
- 24% of all internet male users use Twitter, whereas 21% of All Internet Female users use Twitter. (Pewinternet, 2015)
- Over 79% of Twitter users reside outside of the U.S. (S22.q4cdn, 2018)
- Since Twitter’s launch in 2006, 1.3 billion accounts have been created. (Brandwatch, 2019)
- Every month, Twitter has 500 million people visit the site without logging in. (Blog.Twitter, 2015)
- In 2015, Twitter’s total user base grew by 7.8%. (Statista, 2019)
- In 2016, Twitter’s user base grew by 4%. (Statista, 2019)
- In 2017, Twitter’s user base grew a total of 3.4%. (Statista, 2019)
- In 2018, Twitter’s user base grew by a total of 2.9%. (Statista, 2019)
- In 2019, Twitter’s total users grew by only 2.6% (Statista, 2019)
- The average twitter user has 707 followers. (Twitter, 2016)
- Around 80% of active users access the site via mobile app. (Brandwatch, 2019)
- Over 500 million tweets are sent daily. (Business.Twitter, 2018)
- When customers complain on Twitter, only 3% of the customers will mention the company directly (also known as @-ing the company.) (Marketingland, 2018)
- In 2018, Twitter reported that they had a 50% increase in ad engagement. (Business.Twitter, 2018)
- Twitter ads have proven to be 11% more effective than TV ads. (Business.Twitter, 2018)
- Twitter has seen a decline of 14% in cost per engagement. (Business.Twitter, 2018)
- Roughly 40% of Twitter users say they purchased an item because of an influencer’s tweet. (Hootsuite, 2019)
- Using only one hashtag on Twitter makes your tweet 69% more likely to be retweeted. (Postcron, 2018)
- Around 15% of Twitter users will unfollow a business within three weeks if the business doesn’t make a strong Twitter ad to engage the target. (Postcron, 2018)
- 80% of reviewers found Twitter to be a platform that met their ease of doing business, 7% below competitor averages. (G2Crowd, 2019)
- Twitter saw an average company revenue growth of 24.23% year on year. (Csimarket, 2018)
- 86% of Twitter’s revenue is made through advertising. (Investopedia, 2018)
- In 2018, Twitter earned 2.1 billion in advertisement revenue, which was a 6% decrease from 2016. (Investopedia, 2018)
- Twitter recently reported the company’s net income was $789 million in 2018. (Recode, 2018)
- Twitter made its first profit in Q4 of 2017. (Theguardian, 2018)
- Twitter’s market cap is around 23.56 billion dollars. (ycharts, 2019)
- As of May 1, Twitter’s stock is valued at $30.54. (Google, 2019)
- Twitter is currently valued at $16 billion. (ychart, 2019)
- Twitter averages 6,000 tweets every second. (Internetlivestats, 2019)
- The record for most tweets sent in a second is 143,199 in August 2013. (Twitter, 2013)
- The Twitter user base sends 350,000 tweets per minute. (Internetlivestats, 2019)
- Twitter users combined send about 200 billion tweets per year. (Internetlivestats, 2019)
Growing your social media presence
The previous statistics make it clear: Twitter has a ton of opportunity for growing a brand because of its outreach to audiences around the world. With Twitter having 321 million active users each month, it is a great resource for connecting with people and businesses locally and around the world!
Want to learn more about earn how Twitter can help your business? Check out The Ultimate Guide to Twitter Marketing or read Twitter reviews!