Chances are that you don't live under a rock, so you're aware that generations are a buzzword in the media.
We hear about Generation X, Generation Y, and Generation Z in the media often. I tend to forget where one generation starts and the other ends, since both textbooks and the internet have different answers.
So let’s set it straight; Generation X are people born between 1966-1976, Generation Y (most commonly known as Millennials) are people born between 1977-1994, and Generation Z are those born between 1995-2012. Which one are you?
We also know that the newest generations are the ones who set the latest trends when it comes to basically everything; population, politics, technology, marketing, consumerism, etc.
It’s almost time for Generation Z to set the latest trends as they’re coming into their financial independence and adulthood. They're already making moves.
|TIP: Find out where the retail trends are going in 2019 to better reach your Generation Z audience.
There's a new wave of young adults coming into the market with a new set of ideals and concepts of society. As the tides are changing, statistics on Generation Zers give an insight into what’s currently going on. Have a look at these trends.
Generation Z statistics
1. Generation Z are those born from 1995 and after (VisionCritical).
2. Generation Z is sometimes also known as ‘iGen’ (Mintel, 2018).
3. Generation Z makes up about 30% of the world’s population (Adrenalin Media, 2016).
4. 35% of Generation Z kids are growing up in a single-parent family home (Annie E Casey Foundation, 2018).
5. By 2020, Generation Z will make up nearly 40% of consumer spending (Spredfast, 2018).
6. Generation Z influences $600 billion in family spending (Dan Schawbel, 2014).
7. 49% of Generation Z in the U.S are children of color (Annie E Casey Foundation, 2018).
8. 81% said money was their common stressor (Statista, 2018).
Generation Z lifestyle statistics
9. 74% of Generation Z spend 5 hours or more per day online (Spredfast, 2018).
10. Over 60% of Generation Z will not use apps and websites that are slow to load or hard to navigate (Forbes, 2017).
11. 92% of Generation Z own smartphones (Forbes, 2018).
12. Only 9% prefer Facebook over other social media platforms (Media Kix, 2018).
TIP: It's clear that social media is a huge aspect of the Generation Z lifestyle. Check out the highest rated and most popular social networks on the market to stay relevant to them!
13. 78% of Generation Z say they give gifts of experience because of a special memory (Statista, 2018).
14. 61% of Generation Z say they give gifts because it’s unique (Statista, 2018).
15. 44% of Generation Z use online travel agencies to book their travels (Statista, 2017).
16. Generation Z knows how to research- 30% watch lessons online (CMO, 2015).
Generation Z career statistics
17. 77% of Generation Z adults say work is their common stressor (Statista, 2018).
18. 31% are looking for jobs through online boards (Entrepreneur, 2015).
19. 29% are looking through their college or university career center (Entrepreneur, 2015).
20. 36% of Generation Z want an opportunity for career growth from their first jobs, while 19% are looking for fulfilling work (Entrepreneur, 2015).
21. 59% of Generation Z are disinclined to work in a fast-paced environment (Leadership Alliance, 2017).
22. 61% enjoy working independently and want their manager to listen to and value their ideas (Leadership Alliance, 2017).
23. 60% want their jobs to impact the world (Adrenalin Media, 2016).
Generation Z marketing statistics
24. The average attention span of Generation Z is 8 seconds (Media Kix, 2018).
25. 85% use social media to learn about new products (Media Kix, 2018).
26. 63% of Generation Z would rather see a real person in an advertisement than a celebrity (Bazaar Voice, 2017).
27. 73% of Generation Z shoppers say they are currently trying or will try voice-activated ordering (Accenture, 2018).
28. 58% of Generation Z shoppers would pay more than $5 for one-hour deliveries (Accenture, 2018).
29. 71% of Generation Z shoppers are interested in automatic replenishment programs (Accenture, 2018).
30. 45% choose brands that are eco-friendly and socially responsible (Marriott Digital Services).
31. 40% of Generation Z say they provide feedback to retailers often (Accenture, 2018).
32. 46% agree that their friends’ recommendations and opinions matter when choosing a brand (Marriott Digital Services).
33. 55% would rather buy clothes online than in-store (Adrenalin Media, 2016).
Planning for the future of Generation Z
Slowly but surely, new ideas and technologies develop from perpetually newer generations which affects the way we live, learn, and consume. These statistics prove how powerful Generation Z is in shaping the near future of how businesses work and how marketers market.
You can either keep up with the changes that the younger generation is aligning with or separate yourself and misunderstand them completely! When you want to be progressive, and successful, it's good to keep an open mind.
If your company is actively looking to recruit Generation Zers, check out the best rated recruitment marketing software based on real user reviews!