In recent years, “content marketing” has become one of the marketing industry’s most popular buzzwords.
While this concept is actually years old, it’s gained popularity as major brands have started to shift their marketing efforts to a more customer-centric approach.
You see, content marketing is authentic. This strategic approach focuses on creating valuable, educational, and relevant content in the form of blog posts, eBooks, collateral, and more. The authenticity comes from the fact that this content doesn’t directly promote the company from which it’s distributed.
Instead, it offers a targeted audience solutions to their particular needs and pain points, ultimately positioning the brand as an authority and stimulating interest in their offering. Since content marketing is a rapidly evolving space, content marketing managers lead the charge on implementing both current best practices and innovative new trends.
A content marketing manager will likely lead your team of writers, while also working with marketing leadership to develop the content strategy and your team’s objectives. Common objectives include driving awareness and site traffic, nurturing prospects, and establishing executives as thought leaders.
Content Marketing Manager Duties:
The content marketing manager will spearhead the development and implementation of your team’s content strategy. This includes building a content calendar, creating a writing process and delivery strategy, managing writers, contributing to social media posts, and ultimately, crafting interesting and well-researched content that drives traffic and engages site visitors.
When it comes time for your team to hire a content marketing manager, the below job description can be a helpful starting point. In fact, we invite you to use the template and adapt it to your own organization's needs and requirements. You may also alter this job description for a content marketing specialist.
TIP: Looking to become a content marketer? It's important to be aware of and understand how to use content marketing software. Check out the best choices to use here!
Content Marketing Manager Job Description
Title: Content Marketing Manager
With more than 400 percent growth since 2015, ACME Corporations is North America’s leading energy provider, with the single largest retail customer base nationwide. Since its founding in 2007, ACME Corporations has strived to meet the highest standards of energy delivery, customer service, and cost efficiency. Our mission is to be the top-tier energy provider while fostering a collaborative, diverse, and inclusive workplace.
ACME Corporation is looking to hire a digital marketing manager to be responsible for content strategy and content marketing team members. This individual will lead the content team, which includes planning, producing, and analyzing the written content we create while iteratively advancing ACME’s editorial vision and mission. The ideal candidate will collaborate across functions to deliver an effective content marketing strategy and editorial plan to meet the business objectives in the most efficient manner.
- Produce high-quality articles, white papers, blogs, press releases, email marketing messages, case studies, presentation content, survey reports and web copy
- Serve as an exemplary writer, consistent with our company’s tone and mission. You write clean, concise, well-polished copy
- Edit content produced by your team, including conceptualizing the projects upfront, assigning projects and overseeing development and copy-editing prior to publishing
- Continuously measure and improve content performance; create reports leveraging Google Analytics, HubSpot and social media analytics tools
- Build and maintain editorial calendar and written guidelines
- Stay up-to-date with the latest industry trends and customer challenges in order to build a more effective editorial calendar
- Work closely with senior leaders, marketing teammates, and other departments to create effective communications strategies that articulate our product’s core benefits properly and consistently
- Interact with content specialists, graphic designers and internal team members to create and review all content & ensure consistent message
- Push the business to adopt better content creation practices through frequent testing of new content formats and distribution channels, including championing the increased use of data visualization
- Management of all creative resources including designers, writers, and other agency personnel
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in marketing, communications, journalism or related discipline
- 6+ years of content marketing or direct copywriting experience
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to develop, organize, and maintain process documentation
- Ability to create, update, and maintain training documents
- Excellent grammar, punctuation and spelling skills
- Experience/consistent performance in deadline-oriented environment due to tight time restraints and volume of work
- Ability to manage multiple projects and juggle priorities
- Clear, effective communicator—verbally and in writing—with the ability to be persuasive
- Demonstrated ability to work productively with counterparts in a cross-functional capacity
- Must be able to respond quickly in an environment of changing priorities
- Must be able to set relevant priorities on a daily basis as the job requires
- An uncompromising approach to hitting deadlines
- Results-oriented; proven ability to prioritize, drive and achieve results through self and others under time pressure.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage your time to address multiple responsibilities in a fast-paced, professional environment.
- Must be able to communicate in a calm and collected fashion
- Editorial mindset that seeks to understand what audiences consume and how to create it
- Ability to analyze and present content and social performance
- Project management skills and understanding how to manage the priorities of multiple stakeholders in a complex environment and focus on the delivery of results in the form of traffic, leads and sales
- Strong knowledge of content marketing strategy and channels
For even more help in writing your own content marketing manager job description, we’ve sourced the following examples from three companies looking to hire.
The following examples show organizations that have followed a typical job description structure, but customized it based on their unique needs and expectations.
Content Marketing Manager Job Description Examples
To see how real employers are writing their content marketing manager job description, check out the examples below!
Content Marketing Manager
At Showpad, personalities and cultures connect across oceans to create something extraordinary. As a top 10 software company in the Inc. 5,000 Europe list, Showpad is changing the game when it comes to sales enablement. Our employees create the engagement and impact that drives our success as we expand globally.
In the morning, we’re drinking San Francisco cold brew coffee with a side of Portland doughnuts – English scones for afternoon tea, and in the evening we’re toasting success with Belgian tripel Westmalle to a Chicago house tune.
Key Responsibilities as a Content Marketing Manager at Showpad:
- Craft interesting, well-researched, content to drive traffic, engage and convert target customers, and improve shared content across social media channels; content to include white papers, blog posts, website copy, eBooks, case studies, webinars, videos, presentations, speeches, and other content as needed
- Lead research to drive thought leadership that fuels white papers, webinars, press, awareness, and a reputation of Showpad as a thought leader and information resource.
- Contribute to social media postings and management of social media accounts and content calendar
- Update web content, working with digital marketing, product marketing, and creative.
- Work with product marketing and sales, develop content strategies and materials to support the sales cycle
- Keep up with current industry trends and topics to ensure effective communications
- Collaborate with product marketing to develop industry and role-based messaging
- Copy edit and review content for messaging, style guidelines, brand consistency, and voice; provide education and guidance to ensure high quality writing for all Showpad content
- Coordinate with partners, thought leaders, and other third parties to produce high quality joint content programs
- Develop a content strategy that supports developing thought leadership, driving awareness and traffic, nurturing sales, and closing deals.
- Develop and maintain editorial calendars and content project plans; provide regular updates to stakeholders, and determine metrics for ensuring effectiveness of marketing content
- Build and track benchmarks for measuring success and ROI
- Implement new tools and processes for effective creation and measurement of content.
- Optimize delivery strategy for each piece, by implementing best practices, and repeatedly test various tools, content formats, and distribution channels with various target audience segments
- Ensure that all communications adhere to brand and communications standards and are written in a consistent Showpad "voice"
- Provide accurate and timely project reporting on all content marketing activities
- Working with digital marketing, develop and execute campaigns to drive engagement with content
- Manage the website, keeping content relevant and fresh to drive traffic, engage visitors, and convert visitors to prospects
- Direct Showpad social media strategy
- Manage Showpad social media presence to grow followers and engagement, particularly among influencers
Skills we are looking for
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 5-7 years of experience in marketing, communications, or writing-focused roles
- Excellent written skills for online and print
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Strong analytical capability
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office required
- Experience with Web Content Management Systems, HTML, Marketo, and Adobe Creative Cloud a plus
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven team environment with shifting priorities
Key experiences and competencies:
- Business Savvy and Marketing Maven: The ideal candidate will have deep enterprise SaaS experience and/or have deep experience in ecommerce in retail. S/he will pride him/herself on being ahead of the market. S/he will be passionate about identifying and prioritizing strategic Marketing Communication opportunities and driving overall strategy
- Data-Driven: The ideal candidate will be responsible for driving all metrics around Marketing and Communications activities to improve ROI
- Innovation: The ideal candidate will be relentlessly focused on positioning Showpad as an innovator and industry leader through the creation of new and valuable strategies, programs, and features
- Teamwork: The ideal candidate will be committed to working together in a respectful, transparent and trust-based way in all interactions, large and small
What you can expect from Showpad
We are building the future in sales and marketing where every salesperson is successful. As an international scale-up, we aim for yearly double digit growth that opens many opportunities. We want people who thrive in a fast-paced, performance-driven company, who are not afraid to stretch themselves in a fun environment, and focus on impact and growth.
Senior Content Marketing Manager
New York, New York
The Aetna Enterprise Publishing team is seeking a passionate storyteller and content strategist to join our growing consumer content marketing team. The Senior Content Marketing Manager is new position within a growing Content Marketing team at Aetna, and will serve a critical leadership role in the development, management and execution of branded content strategy to support several of Aetna's key lines of business. This is a unique opportunity to join a growing marketing organization creating game-changing work that is changing the face of healthcare marketing. Reporting to the Senior Director of Content Marketing, this role will collaborate with a wide variety of key stakeholders across Aetna to develop content aligned with Aetna's brand mission, and will be responsible for delivering content that engages Aetna's target consumers and helps increase brand favorability across multiple distribution channels.
- A skilled project manager and content strategist, the Senior Content Marketing Manager will be responsible for a variety of workstreams critical to the success of the Enterprise Publishing consumer content strategy, including:
- Serving as primary content marketing liaison for several Aetna lines of business, working with marketing and business partners to develop content marketing strategies and programs to support their marketing goals
- Collaborating with the editorial team to contribute to the overall editorial strategy, content development and production calendar for content hubs on Aetna.com and AetnaMedicare.com
- Managing agency partners to develop engaging content marketing programs that drive business goals, overseeing content development and project timelines
- Mining the enterprise for member and employee stories that showcase the Aetna brand mission and support key business initiatives and enterprise content themes
- Editing and reviewing a wide variety of content types, including social content, video, articles and long-form content
- Collaborating with media and social teams to ensure effective distribution and strategic amplification of content for maximum reach and business impact
- Ensuring that site performance analysis, SEO tactics and media insights are continuously used to optimize content development on behalf of business partners
- Overseeing development of regular reporting for business partners to ensure that content programs are meeting their intended goals
- 8+ years of experience in editorial content development for a digital publisher, consumer brand or marketing/communications agency
- Proven success using content and social media to advance consumer brands
- Ability to inspire, motivate and lead cross-functional teams; able to win support of peers, seniors and juniors for projects
- A solid understanding of content and social marketing industry trends, tactics, and user behavior
- Experience managing internal staff and agencies in a collaborative environment
- Extensive editorial and social media content development experience and a solid understanding of basic digital design and user experience principles
- Health care industry experience a plus, but not required
- Highly-collaborative team player who can work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in fast-paced team environment
- Flexibility to accommodate demanding projects schedules and competing priorities
- Motivated self-starter, process-oriented with high attention to detail
- Experience with Adobe Experience Manager, SiteCatalyst, and JIRA a plus
The highest level of education desired for candidates in this position is a Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
ADDITIONAL JOB INFORMATION
Aetna is about more than just doing a job. This is our opportunity to re-shape healthcare for America and across the globe. We are developing solutions to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare. What we do will benefit generations to come.
We care about each other, our customers and our communities. We are inspired to make a difference, and we are committed to integrity and excellence.
Together we will empower people to live healthier lives.
Aetna is an equal opportunity & affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of personal characteristics or status. We take affirmative action to recruit, select and develop women, people of color, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
We are a company built on excellence. We have a culture that values growth, achievement and diversity and a workplace where your voice can be heard.
Benefit eligibility may vary by position. Click here to review the benefits associated with this position.
Sr. Manager, Content Marketing
San Francisco, California
We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced senior content marketing manager to join our content marketing team. Do you love storytelling? Can you deliver great content that inspires users? Is organization one of your superpowers? Do you work well with different teams?
If you answered yes to these questions and are ready to join a rapidly growing team in a highly creative role that is essential to the company’s success, we want to talk to you.
We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product — which is just one reason why Splunk was named by Fortune Magazine as one of the most forward-looking innovative companies of the year. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Join us as we make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone.
This role is based in San Francisco reports to the director of content marketing at Splunk.
In this role you will wear two hats:
- Support, define and create content marketing initiatives aligned with our go-to-market studios
- Collaborate with writers, editors and contractors on the team and manage a cross-functional editorial calendar
You will partner with the content marketing director to define the content strategy for brand and corporate programs, including internal and external events, and will also play a key role in the development of our overarching brand and corporate story. Collaborating with a team of writers, editors and contractors, you will deliver content across key go-to-market studios. You will also write and edit content to execute on that strategy. The team includes full-time employees and contractors who support writing and copyediting requirements for Splunk.
This position requires project management, hands-on writing and editing, the ability to define and implement content marketing strategies and, collaboration with Splunk customers and employees of varying technical depth. The ideal candidate will have strong team management experience and the ability to balance priorities and meet multiple deadlines.
- Partner with the content marketing director and team to define and implement a complete brand and corporate content marketing strategy
- Conceive new content ideas and drive the process from concept to delivery of the final product
- Manage a cross-functional editorial calendar for key go-to-market initiatives
- Write, edit and deliver exceptional content that meets business objectives
- Partner with the brand and creative team to bring content assets to life in designs
- Present content ideas and deliverables to internal/external partners
- Proactively collaborate with a variety of groups including other marketing teams, product managers and marketing managers on multiple projects, while proactively setting expectations
- 10+ years experience working in technology content or journalism, preferably B2B software creating high-quality content in the form of articles, landing pages, ebooks, case studies and more
- Excellent writing, editing and content packaging skills
- Organized and articulate, with impeccable attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple deadlines and priorities across teams
- Proven content development process knowledge
- Social skills to support cross-functional teams including Splunk executives, product managers, marketing partners and third parties such as contractors
- Experience working in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment and able to multitask on a variety of different projects
- Creative or marketing communications agency experience a plus
- Portfolio demonstrates strength in storytelling and a variety of brand, corporate and thought leadership topics
BA or MA in journalism, English or related field preferred
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.