Are you in the market for a new HR Manager?
HR Managers are a vital role to the success of a business. These professionals interact with just about every other person in your company at some point. Whether this is the first time you’re hiring an HR Manager or you’ve gone through the process a few times, you need to understand exactly what you’re searching for in a candidate.
The title of an HR Manager is also incredibly vague. They can have any number of responsibilities and duties you’ll need to be familiar with to properly hire the right person for the job.
A human resource manager is responsible for two primary functions: overseeing department processes and managing employees. HR Managers need to be proficient in recruitment and hiring, training and development, compensation and benefits, employee relations, and consulting with leadership on the needs of employees.
Even if you know what skills you need a potential HR Manager candidate to possess, it’s not always easy to communicate that through a job description. The way you write a job description can make or break the quality of talent you receive applications from.
A good job description is a crucial element of your employer branding efforts. Including details of your company values and culture can ensure that candidates will connect with not just the position, but your organization as a whole.
Interested in learning more about how you can be a successful recruiter?
Use this job description template as a way to craft your own, or scroll past and look at the three HR Manager job description examples.
Title: HR Manager
With more than 400 percent growth since 2015, ACME Corporations is North America’s leading energy provider, with the single largest retail customer base nationwide. Since its founding in 2007, ACME Corporations has strived to meet the highest standards of energy delivery, customer service, and cost efficiency. Our mission is to be the top-tier energy provider while fostering a collaborative, diverse, and inclusive workplace.
ACME Corporation is looking to hire an HR Manager to lead a team of talented recruiters and HR specialists in our Chicago office. This individual should be an experienced, motivated manager of people that can help source and secure new team members for various departments within our organization, lead training and development initiatives, administer benefits and compensation appropriately to employees, moderate employee issues, and advocate to leadership on behalf of employees . Ideal candidate is a high-energy, strong communicator with a knack for engaging with other experienced professionals.
• Manage the human capital of ACME Corporation.
• Identification, qualification and management of recruits in all areas of the company.
• Develop and maintain job descriptions for all roles.
• Arrange for interview scheduling, travel and accommodations, as necessary.
• Candidate Screening: responsible for screening resumes to determine which candidates meet the minimum requirements to move to the next step in the hiring process.
• Interviewing: conducting initial interviews and narrow the number of potential candidates who will be interviewed by the hiring manager. Set up interview appointments between the chosen candidates and the hiring manager.
• Reference and Background Checks: coordinate the reference and background checks, conducting reference checks by verifying employment information and contacting the professional and personal contacts provided by the candidate.
• Building and maintaining a strong database of information to support the salary and benefit structures of new hires and existing employees.
• Benefits/Employee Wellness: Participate and guide the company process in selecting and communicating company benefits that attract and maintain employees. Manage the annual renewal processes for Medical, Dental and any other annual program(s).
• Working closely with management on handling all post-meeting(s) follow up and next steps.
• Stay on top of changing national, state or local laws regarding employee legislation and policy enforcement.
• Working closely with ACME legal or COO to prepare and negotiate job offers, and manage other aspects of HR.
• Excellent ability to communicate at all levels within an organization required.
Job Qualifications & Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, or similar.
• 3-5years of HR and/or recruiting experience.
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
• Strong judgement abilities to determine proper fit within the firm.
• Experience working for a large multinational corporation a plus.
• Ability to build a recruitment strategy and execute.
• Must be self-motivated and enthusiastic regarding the challenges of a dynamic environment.
• Make hiring recommendations to any hiring manager.
• Effective negotiation skills
• Familiarity with recruiting agencies as well and recruitment sites.
Use these job description examples to help draft a compelling job description for your business.
If you’re about to start hiring for an HR Manager, it may be helpful to find the right Applicant Tracking System for the job.
Senior Manager, Human Resources
VITAL PROTEINS | CHICAGO
Vital Proteins is an emerging, dynamic brand consisting of a team of passionate individuals who believe whole-food-based nutrition is essential for overall health, fitness and wellbeing. Our team is comprised of intelligent and innovative talent who work collaboratively to ensure creativity, success, and global growth. At Vital Proteins, our mission is to empower our company, team, and customers to live a full, vibrant life. We seek to develop and support the right people, with the right chemistry, who continually ask questions, and in turn will develop and tactically execute good ideas. We are looking for individuals to help us think smarter and put a lot of ideas on the table in a short amount of time. Building a great company is our goal. Quality individuals and getting the team right is our business plan.
The Sr. HR Manager will be a business partner for the whole organization with a focus on maturing of the HR function. This person must be comfortable with all aspects of HR and serve as the go-to resource for the team. You will be responsible for all human resources operational functions, including, process development, policy implementation, benefits oversight, risk and compliance to name a few. This person will interface across the organization providing thought leadership and coaching on proper HR relations. You will report to the VP of HR and work out of our West Loop office with travel to our production/warehouse facility in Franklin Park.
What you will be responsible for:
- Oversight and leadership of all human resources people operations day to day
- Serving as the main point of contact for benefits administration and coordination of educational session
- Creation and implementation of company wide handbook, will be the subject matter expert on company policies nationwide
- Assisting in the development, creation, documentation and management of company policies and procedures, in alignment with corporate values and operational needs
- Guiding new hires through on-boarding
- Working with the Director of HR and Talent on owning and supporting the HR function, organizational wide
- Management of off-boarding process, both voluntary and involuntary
- Weekly oversight and review of payroll process
- Tracking and managing PTO and time off system, with support from operations HR Generalist
- Manage all employee relations providing conflict resolution or coaching as needed
- Administration and tracking of LOA process for the whole organization in alignment with current policies
- Reviewing and maintaining proper HR documentation with a focus on risk and compliance alignment
Who you are:
- You have 5 + years of previous HR manager experience, robust knowledge of HR functions and best practices required
- 2 + years of previous leadership experience overseeing a team of HR professionals
- You have a bachelor’s degree in Human Resources management or a related field
- Advanced HR certification preferred
- You are organized and have strong communication skills, comfortable interfacing with all levels of leadership to provide thoughtful guidance on objectives
- You are comfortable in a fast-paced changing environment
- You have precious experience in complex employee classifications with experience in both an exempt and non-exempt setting
- You have an entrepreneurial spirit with a passion for health and wellness
Human Resource Manager
FOODMAVEN | COLORADO SPRINGS
FoodMaven is an innovative online marketplace and rapid logistics company bringing agility and flexibility to the U.S. food system. The company’s goal is to capture and reclaim revenues from lost food, estimated at $200 billion per year. FoodMaven sells high-quality local and oversupplied food from distributors, manufacturers and producers to restaurants and institutional buyers. With an efficient online marketplace, big data optimization technology, and agile logistics model, FoodMaven is good for profits, good for people and good for the planet.
The Human Resource Manager reports to the Vice President of Finance. This position is responsible for planning, directing, and coordinating human resources activities for the company. The position will work closely with the Senior Leadership Team to ensure effective planning and implementation of human resource initiatives to support a high growth organization. In short, this position owns the full range of human resource management.
Successful Candidates will Demonstrate:
- The ability to understand business goals and recommend new approaches, policies and procedures to effect continual improvements in business objectives, productivity and development of HR within the company
- A true hands-on approach as well as the ability to successfully monitor the “pulse” of the employees to ensure a high level of employee engagement
- Experience with rapid and complex changing work environment
- Passion for innovative HR solutions and process improvement; Demonstrated experience driving processes improvements and specific skills in Kaizen methodologies preferred
- Strong project management skills; ability to lead projects at a network level to influence and obtain buy-in, and then drive execution and achievement of the right results
- Success in creating and driving effective employee relations, retention and reward programs
- The ability to be comfortable with high volume workload and not be afraid to “roll up your sleeves”
- A strong solutions focus and be comfortable working in an environment which demands strong deliverables along with the ability to identify problems and drive appropriate solutions
- The ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously – orientated on results
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Serve as a link between management and employees by handling questions, interpreting and administering employment contracts and helping resolve work-related problems.
- Analyze and modify compensation and benefits policies to establish competitive programs in line with the company’s compensation philosophy and ensure compliance with legal requirements.
- Advise managers on organizational policy matters, such as equal employment opportunity and sexual harassment, and recommend needed changes.
- Perform difficult staffing duties, including dealing with understaffing, refereeing disputes, terminating employees, and administering disciplinary procedures.
- Plan and conduct new employee orientation to foster positive attitude toward organizational objectives.
- Identify staff vacancies and support hiring managers with recruitment, interviewing and selecting applicants.
- Evaluate and maintain corporate mission, vision, values, and company culture. Survey, measure temperature, and report on general health of culture.
Detailed work activities:
- Administer compensation and benefits program.
- Advise senior leaders on legal or regulatory compliance matters.
- Analyze data to inform personnel decisions.
- Communicate organizational policies and procedures.
- Administer employee training programs.
- Coordinate special events or programs.
- Estimate labor requirements.
- Manage applicant tracking process and systems.
- Maintain personnel records.
- Prepare management reports and reports related to compliance matters.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Experience managing across the full spectrum of human resource management
- Minimum of 3 years human resource experience
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and staff to create a results-driven, team-oriented environment
- Strong planning and analysis skills
- Effective public speaking skills
- Strong writing skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- MBA or Masters in related field a plus
- Venture-backed startup experience preferred
- Food system experience a plus
- Demonstrated drive for progressive responsibility and roles in a high profile startup
- Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Compensation appropriate to position and company stage
- Benefits per company plan
- Equity package commensurate with position and stage of investor backed startup
Senior Manager, People Operations
CLEAR | GREATER NYC ARE
CLEAR makes life easier and more secure by using biometrics – your fingerprints, eyes and face – to confirm that you are you, and keep you moving. Imagine a world where you can do virtually everything you need to – breeze through the airport, buy a beer at the game, check-in at the doctor’s office, access your office building, and more – without ever pulling out your wallet or phone. Now in 45+ airports and other venues nationwide, you are your ID, credit card, ticket, reservation and more with CLEAR.
We’re defining and leading an entirely new industry, moving quickly with data-informed decisions, obsessing over our customers, and investing in great people to lead the way. Recently named on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 List and winner of the SXSW Interactive Innovation Award, we’re working tirelessly to create frictionless customer experiences for our 3+ million members across the country.
Reporting into the Senior Director, People Operations, you will support the execution of the people strategy and initiatives. This is a role that is broad in scope and exposure to help drive the organizational objectives. The ideal candidate will have a passion for enhancing people processes and live in the data to explain the “what”, “why”, and “what now”.
What You Will Do:
- Help drive the People functional excellence through automating processes, designing policies and delivering system solutions that enable the team to be more efficient
- Own and drive analysis of data to identify relationships, trends, and potential business impact; interpret data and communicate findings to the People team.
- Develop, align and streamline people policies and supporting procedures, providing the necessary communication, training and guidance to meet the needs of the range of stakeholders across the business
- Implement and maintain process improvements that will enhance the employee experience with people services
- Articulate opportunities for change initiatives that will positively influence business operations and results
- Elevate the employee experience by developing and communicating actionable insights
Who You Are:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business, Economics, Finance, Operations, HR or a related field.
- 4+ years of People Operations experience. Prior working experience in consulting, a start-up or hyper growth organization a plus
- Demonstrated program/project ownership and consistent delivery on commitments - great organizational skills with exceptional follow through and attention to detail.
- Exceptional analytical skills, comfortable working with large amounts of data and extracting/communicating data findings.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to interface with management and peers, specific strength in influencing decision makers and managing expectations
- Agile with the ability to respond to rapidly changing business models, with proven track record in change management.
It’s pretty much a given that you can’t run a successful team without strong leadership.
It’s no secret that sales jargon can get tricky.
It’s pretty much a given that you can’t run a successful team without strong leadership.
Never miss a post.
Subscribe to keep your fingers on the tech pulse.