Chances are you haven't touched your social media URLs since you created the accounts.
All of my social media accounts were created years ago, and I hadn't thought about my URLs since I first had to make one. That is, not until I got a big girl job that wanted to include my LinkedIn and Twitter information on my business card.
Yikes. Those URLs represented teenage Holly well but not young-professional Holly. It was time for a change.
How to change your social media URLs
As the New Year creeps up on us, it might be time for you to rethink your own social media presence. Is it updated to match who you currently are? Is it what you'd like to represent to the digital world at large?
Thankfully, it's very easy to clean up your URLs. In this article I'll cover how to change it on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
How to change Facebook URL
You may want to change your Facebook URL for a variety of reasons. Maybe you just rebranded and you need to change your Facebook business page URL. Or maybe you created a personal Facebook a decade ago and the URL you chose is cringe-worthy now.
Note: In order to change your Facebook URL, you have to change your Facebook username. This is not a big deal as your username literally only appears in your URL. So they are one and the same.
Steps to change your Facebook URL
- Navigate to your 'Settings' menu.
- Change the username field to what you want your URL to be.
- Once you find a username that is free to use, click 'Save.'
- Go to your Facebook profile to view your new URL.
If you're looking for more details, please view our full guide on how to change your Facebook username. This includes visuals that make it easier to follow along.
How to change Twitter URL
Your Twitter URL is important because you never know when you'll start working at a job that requires you to use Twitter marketing. You better be ready with a professional URL, which also coincidentally is your Twitter handle.
Steps to change you Twitter URL
- Navigate to your Twitter profile by clicking on your photo in the top-right corner.
- From that drop-down menu, select 'Settings and privacy.'
- Change your username to whatever you want your Twitter handle and URL to be. Make sure it is unique and follows the Twitter handle restrictions.
- Click 'Save' to change your Twitter URL, handle and username!
If you're looking for more details, check out our full guide on how to change your Twitter handle. It includes the handle restrictions as well as how changing your handle impacts previous Tweets and conversations.
How to change LinkedIn URL
LinkedIn is obviously the URL you want to be proud of. Recruiters and current coworkers look at that page. It will more than likely be on your business card. Heck, you might even be tasked with creating a LinkedIn business page and URL for your company. If you want to change your LinkedIn URL at any time, follow along here.
Steps to change your LinkedIn URL
- Go to your profile page.
- Click 'Edit public profile & URL' on the right.
- Under the 'Edit URL' section on the right, click the pencil icon next to current URL.
- Change your LinkedIn URL to what you want.
- Click 'Save.'
- Go to your profile page and check the URL changed.
If you'd like a step-by-step guide with visuals, check out this in-depth article on how to change your LinkedIn URL.
How to change YouTube URL
This is the only social media network that doesn't allow changes to URLs at any time. When you create a YouTube channel, YouTube assigns you a random URL. If you want a YouTube custom URL, you have to meet the site's eligibility requirements in order to request the chance to change your URL.
Steps to change your YouTube custom URL
- Meet eligibility requirements.
- Sign in to YouTube.
- Click on your profile picture in the top right corner. Select 'Settings', then select 'Advanced Settings.'
- Under 'Channel Settings,' click on the link 'You're eligible for a custom URL.'
- In the 'Get a custom URL' box, you'll see URLs you can choose from. You may have to add letters or numbers to make it unique
- Click 'Change URL.'
- Click 'Confirm Choice.'
Want more details? Read our full guide on YouTube custom URLs.
Now you're set to change all your social media URLs! Update your social media presence to properly reflect yourself and your business.