There are a lot of things I wish I could delete but simply aren’t able to: my junior high yearbook photos, my old MySpace page, or the memories I have of being picked last in gym class.
One thing not on that list: my Gmail account, as deleting this is easy and can be done in just a few steps.
If you’re unsure of how to delete your Gmail account, read on for a step-by-step guide!
Deleting a Gmail account
When it’s time to delete your Gmail account, it only takes a few steps.
How to delete Gmail account:
- Click your account icon and choose Google Account
- Click Data & Personalization
- Click Delete a service or your account
- Click Delete a service
- Enter your password to verify account
- Click the trash can icon next to Gmail account
- Enter a different email address and click Send Verification
- Open the email from Google and follow the deletion link
- Click confirm check-box and choose Delete Gmail
- Click Done
For more details on deleting your Gmail account, plus informative screenshots, keep reading!
1. Click your account icon and choose Google Account
Once you’re logged into the Google Account of the Gmail you’d like to delete, click your account icon in the upper-right corner. Then, choose Google Account.
2. Click Data & personalization
From the next page, click Data & personalization from the options on the left.
3. Click Delete a service or account
From the next page, scroll down to the header Download, delete, or make a plan for your data and choose Delete a service or your account.
4. Click Delete a service
Next, click Delete a service.
|Tip: Clicking Delete your Google Account will result in you losing more than just your Gmail account, like your photos and data, so make sure you only delete a service.|
5. Verify your account
Google is then going to ask you to verify your account by entering your password. Once you do, click Next.
6. Click the trash can icon
Next to the Gmail account you’re looking to delete, click the trash can icon.
7. Enter an additional email address and click Send Verification
Then, enter the email address that you’ll use to access your Google Account, like your data and Photos, and click Send Verification Email.
|Tip: Make sure the email address you enter is one you’ll have access to! You’ll need it for step eight.|
8. Open the email from Google and follow the deletion link
Log into the account of the email address you entered in step seven and click on the email sent from Google. Then, follow the deletion link in the email.
9. Click the confirm checkbox and choose Delete Gmail
Once you’re done reading the information provided by Google and you’re ready to delete your Gmail account, click the confirmation box that you want to delete the Gmail account. Then, click Delete Gmail.
10. Click Done
Google will then let you know that your Gmail account was successfully deleted. Click Done.
Delete it and forget it
No matter what your reason for deleting your Gmail account is, you’re sure to feel better once it’s completely gone from the traces of the world wide web. It’s almost like it never existed! You probably need some way to communicate with the outside world, though. Check out some other free email account platforms that you can choose from.
On a deleting spree? Learn how to delete all of your social media accounts.